Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pain


George Eliot said Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.

And we allow pain to conquer us all the time.
I learn this everyday in my yoga practice.
As I explore my way into an asana, pain visits.
Sometimes like a searing meteor across my consciousness.
Sometimes like a red-hot throbbing hotspot, i don't know where.
And if i allow it, pain is greedy, gobbling up everything - me, my brain, my thoughts even my consciousness. Till the horizons of my mind are stained with pain.
And if i allow it, pain is a noisy rolling shutter, slamming down on me,
Nervous, jittery, terrified,
ThatI may figure out...
That pain is only a mirage, an illusion.
Look at it through the gaze of your breath
Soft and slow and steady like the rhythm of the sea
Now and calm and here...
Then the pain dissolves, melts, evaporates
Like a thought....
Till
In the distance
I can see
Me
Beautiful me
Powerful me
Limitless me
Standing with one foot gently resting on the chest of pain
Lying vanquished at my feet

3 comments:

idle mind said...

hopped here from your ryze page and stayed back to read your piece on kishore kumar. i am a HUGE fan of the man myself and just wanted to say thank you for writing that article. i was humming each of those songs even as i read them and the little stories that go with them. thanks!

and if i am not mistaken, you used to write a column with mid-day? i used to enjoy that too. glad i found you on caferati so i can continue to have the pleasure!

Manish Bhatt said...

http://ubsitpah.blogspot.com/2006/08/4-hindi-poems-images.html

Try this please!

Manish Bhatt said...

Do click on the images to enlarge them.

And these are beautiful pieces you've got here. Of course, i have read them on Caferati before.